History



          Current area of this district was a part of 'Koshal rajya'- a prime centre of ancient'arya culture' surrounded by Himalaya in north, Shyandika river in south, 'Panchal rajya' in west & Maghadh rajya in (Bihar) east. Besides many fictions related with this area, astro-historical fossils ('murtee',coins,bricks, temples,Budh math etc.) are found at many places of this district, showing that there was a developed & organised society long long ago. Ancient history of the district is related with the Ramayan times when 'Koshal Naresh' lord Ram appointed his elder son 'Kush' , the king of Kushawati- which is todays Kushinagar.

          Before Mahabharat times,this area was related with Chakravorty Samrat 'Mahasudtsan' & his kingdom 'kushinagar' was well developed & prosperous.Nearby to his rajya border was the thick area woods 'Maha-van'. This area was under control of Maurya rulers,Gupta rulers & Bhar rulers , and then under control of Gharwal ruler 'Govind Chandra' from year -1114 to year- 1154. This area was under control of Avadh rulers or of Bihar Muslim rulers during Medieval times,is not very clear.

          There was little control of oldest Delhi rulers - Sultan , Nizam or Khilji's on this region. There is no description of this area in east war/attack/invasion scripts by muslim historians meaningby muslim invaders would have seldom visited thick wood area of this region. Many places of this district played an important role in the modern history of this district.Important ones are- Paina, Baikuntpur, Berhaj, Lar, Rudrapur, Hata, Kasia, Gauribazar, Kaptanganj, Udhopur, Tamkuhi, Basantpur Dhoosi etc.

          Gandhiji addressed Deoria & Padrauna public meetings in 1920.Baba Raghav Das had started movement in april' 1930 regarding 'NamakMovement'. In 1931,there were wide movement against government & landlords in this district. Many more people joined Congress as volunteers & marched several places of the district.Sh.Purushottam Das Tondon in 1931 & Rafi Ahmad Kidwai in 1935 visited different places of this district. During Quit India Movement , as much as 580 people were sent behind the bar for different duration. Deoria District came into existence at March 16' 1946 from Gorakhpur district.

           The name DEORIA is derived from 'Devaranya' or probably 'Devpuria' as believed. According to official gazzettes,the district name 'deoria' is taken by its headquarter name 'Deoria' and the term deoria generally means a place where there are temples. Deoria name developed by a fossil(broken) Shiva Temple by the side of 'kurna river' in its northside. Kushinagar (Padrauna) district came into existence in 1994 ' MAY by separating north-east portion of Deoria district.